Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream



Despite the fact that I'd just picked up a tube of La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF30 a few days previously, I couldn't resist trying Shiseido's latest sunscreen when I saw it on the counter at the weekend. I like the protection levels the Anthelios gives, but for everyday use it's not my ideal - it leaves me looking quite shiny, so that powder is a necessity and it also feels like sunscreen on my skin. Fine for occasions when I want to ensure I'm being protected, such as when I'm spending a long period of time outdoors, but for normal everyday wear, I want something closer to a moisturiser with the added benefits of UV protection.

And after 4 days of wear, Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream SPF30 certainly seems very close to ideal. It applies like a moisturiser, sinking into the skin with no stickiness. My skin is dry at the moment and I apply sunscreen over a hydrating serum and so far it seems very comfortable - I don't get the dry feeling when I cleanse my face at the end of the day that I sometimes get with other sunscreens. There is a light fragrance, but nothing too annoying. The finish isn't completely matte; my skin looks dewy but not in a way that actually requires makeup to tone it down. I have yet to try applying foundation over it, but based on the way my skin feels and looks, I would guess this will also work well as a base for makeup (there was no problem when I applied the Armani Blushing Fabric over it).

As I'm only a few days in, I'm cautious in declaring Urban Environment to be The One, but given that congestion often appears very early when my skin doesn't like a sunscreen and has yet to bother me in this case, I'm feeling positive. And priced at €33 (€35 for the SPF50 if I remember correctly), this is still in the price class I feel comfortable with for everyday skincare.

Here are the ingredients:

No comments: